Thursday, 5 July 2012

Explore Day 3: Near DEATH experience...

Today for class we had Mme Auger and Mme Legere. This is what my classroom looks like and someone pointed out that it looks like a high school. I guess that may be true, I'm not sure what other classes of the campus look like. I got quite a bit more homework today than the last two days.


In the afternoon we took the bus downtown and I saw the gas prices which are at least 20 cents lower than Vancouver!


I had this fortune cookie today and for once it was actually applicable to my life. Especially now because I have to practise my French.


We walked down Grande Allée to the Plains of Abraham. On the way we passed by L'Observatoire de la Capitale and saw some people skydiving with Canadian and other flags!



The Summer Festival is happening July 5-15 so most of the street was blocked off for pedestrians. Many stages and fancy cars were set up as well.


On the way to the bus stop to return to ULaval was when the near death experience happened. It is shocking to just think about it again. We were standing at a traffic light intersection waiting to cross when suddenly two cars swerved toward the sidewalk. All of us started running the opposite direction. I was so scared that I wouldn't be able to run fast enough and any second I would be hit by the car. At the same time, the woman next to me was so frantic she kept pulling at my arm which slowed me down from running. 

Everything happened very quickly. I heard a loud boom and turned around to see a woman lying face first on the floor and two cars with the hoods completely smashed. The street light fell down from the impact. Some people surrounded the woman to see if she was all right but she could not move except lift her head very very slightly. 



I remember thinking that it could have been any of the pedestrians standing at that intersection that could have been hit. It could have been me but it was this woman. That was an overwhelming thought.

I didn't take a very clear picture because I was still shaking from shock and of course I didn't take a picture of the woman for that would be rude. The other crashed car is behind the woman in the blue shirt in the picture, it was a taxi.

That was the closest I had ever come to death and it frightened me how vulnerable humans are. Or losing a limb would be devastating as well. We were just waiting patiently for the light to change, we weren't even jaywalking pedestrians!

After that I headed straight back to campus and to my dorm room. I didn't feel safe on the streets anymore and didn't want to be outside.

For dinner Linda, Francine and I made pasta and salmon in the basement kitchen. We only had one pot and few utensils to work with but it turned out pretty tasty!

Francine & Linda



Not much activity-wise happened today but emotionally it was draining. In Vancouver there are many extreme drivers but never have I been this close to an accident before.



Share this post
  • Share to Facebook
  • Share to Twitter
  • Share to Google+
  • Share to Stumble Upon
  • Share to Evernote
  • Share to Blogger
  • Share to Email
  • Share to Yahoo Messenger
  • More...

0 comments:

Post a Comment