Sunday, 10 June 2012

Wizarding World of Harry Potter: Snow Day in May

I am a fan of the Harry Potter books so I have wanted to visit the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios Orlando since they announced that they were going to build it. Finally I got to go this year!

I went at the beginning of May and it was the perfect conditions. The weather was nice but not too hot and there weren't huge crowds of people in the park. I went to both Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure, the latter was a little busier but still very manageable compared to the summer. The longest I had to wait in line at Universal Studios was 15 minutes! I did not even buy an Express Pass and I was able to go on every ride I was interested in. I did buy an Express Pass for Islands of Adventure.



The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is located inside Islands of Adventure and is the furthest point away from the entrance. Upon entering the gates I made a straight bee line to the back of the park where the Harry Potter section is.

The entrance was superb with the snow against the blue skies and all the muggles in summer clothes! Other than the buildings being a little smaller than I imagined, all the buildings seemed like the ones used on set for the movies! This is by far the busiest section of the theme park even though it only boasts a few rides.

Hogsmeade
I went directly to the Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey line up because my friend had to line up 2-3 hours for it! The sign said 60 minute wait when I joined the line but I ended up only waiting 35 minutes which is another great reason to come during low season. Before this ride, one of my favourite rides at Universals was the Spiderman one but this one definitely replaced it. The line up itself was fun because you loop through the various places of the castle from Dumbledore's office to Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom. The duration of the ride is very dark and you are strapped to a seat that swings around while you experience 4D. It goes through all the books so you come in close contact with spiders, dementors, whomping wallow etc. The ride itself was very shocking because you never know what you will be thrust into next! Highly recommend for a clever thrill.

Hogwarts Castle at Harry Potter World
Of course wands were sold ($35 a piece) and many people lined up to get into the store but actually they are sold at vendors in other parts of the park so don't bother with the line.


Hermione's wand

 

Overall, the Wizarding World of Harry Potter lived up to my expectations! I was definitely not disappointed and was extra glad because I got to experience it minus the crazy line ups. The other Harry Potter rides were about a 5 minute wait for me because I bought an Express Pass for Islands of Adventure. They are building a Harry Potter world at the Japan Universal Studios by 2014 but I don't think I will visit that one. Last time I was there I only got to try 3 rides because there were SO many people! The Spiderman ride line up alone was 2 hours, let alone a Harry Potter ride.


Share this post
  • Share to Facebook
  • Share to Twitter
  • Share to Google+
  • Share to Stumble Upon
  • Share to Evernote
  • Share to Blogger
  • Share to Email
  • Share to Yahoo Messenger
  • More...

1 comments:

  1. Hogwarts in the Snow at the Warner Bros Studio Tour is a real treat to harry Potter fans.

    ReplyDelete